Wednesday, January 22, 2014

post 3

The first thing I looked at was the Shakespeare Sonnet 130.  Honestly I'm not sure what the intentions of the poem were, the poem could have been about beauty only being skin deep and love will always find a way or it could be an rude joke.  A large part of the reason I think it might be a joke is because of lines like "If hair be wires, black wires grow on her head."  The line makes it seam as if the poem is not taking itself seriously leading to the thought that it is in fact not serious at all.  Whether or not the poem is serious I don't think it's the kind of thing you would read to anyone you were interested in.
After Shakespeare's poem I looked at the one that copied it.  The poem is obviously a parody of Shakespeare's work with every line being the same just with different words like "If her mop were Slinkys, then dishwater Slinkys would grow on her noggin."  It's the exact same line as before but every noun is changed into something funnier.  Even if Shakespeare's poem was meant to be serious there is no doubt that this one isn't in the least.
The third piece I looked at was Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird.  Either this poem has some profound meaning about life that my unenlightened mind is to feeble to comprehend or this person really liked Blackbirds and I mean REALLY liked them.  The premise is one that could be considered silly and something that I  myself would probably use if I had to write a poem.  There are hints that the poem might be more than just a person's obsession with blackbirds but I like my view of it so I'm going with that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment